What is the brain?
A brain has three main parts:
- The cerebellum.
- The cerebrum, which has two parts, the left and right cerebral hemispheres.
- The brain stem, that controls automatic actions of your body such as breathing and heart beat.
What the brain does?
Your brain is faster than fastest computer. It sends more messages to your body everyday than all the phones in the world. It enables you to; move, think, learn, feel emotions, remember, dream, create, breathe, see, hear, feel and taste. It allows you to learn new things and avoid danger. Your brain keeps working when you’re asleep.
Your brain collects all the information, sorts it out, thinks, remembers, creates, compares, solves problems and coordinates actions all at the same time.
Interesting facts about your brain
- Your brain doesn’t have pain receptors. It can’t feel anything.
- You have over 100,000 miles of axons (a long fiber that carries impulses away from a nerve cell) in your brain. They could wrap around the Earth 4 times.
- Brain tissue has a consistency that’s very similar to tofu.
- Having a bigger brain doesn’t make you smarter. In fact, Albert Einstein had a relatively small brain.
- It’s easy to trick your brain. For example, Square A and Square B are the same color. (What?!)
- Your brain will develop if you spend more time reading.
- It ‘s a self development urban myth that we only use 10% of our brain. We use it all and if you don’t believe me cut a bit out and see what happens.Your brain is pink and weight around 1.3 kg. It takes 16 cm long, 14 cm wide, and 10 cm deep.
- Even though the brain is just 2% of your body weight, it uses around 20% of all your energy from the blood and oxygen in your body. That’s a lot for such a small organ.
- Your brain stops growing when your 18, but don’t be calling your parents silly just yet. It actually keeps on developing and learns new things until you’re in your 40’s. So your parents are really super smart! You won’t be able to fool them.
- When you eat or drink cold food to fast, you might get Brain Freeze. However, it doesn’t freeze your brain, it just happen in the root of your mouth.